What is the Mission Acceleration Program?
The MiSsion Acceleration pilot program is designed to accelerate reading achievement for 1000 children in Mississippi. The program will provide the trifecta of support for readers in grades K-5.
1) an evidence-based intervention with explicit, systematic 1:1 academic assistance in reading
2) a student-centered, personalized, digital literacy environment giving students access to more than 6,000 enhanced digital books matched to the students’ interest, grade, and Lexile® reading level to deliver appropriate texts for reading practice
3) a meaningful connection with a role model for academic, social, and emotional support
Who is involved with the Mission Acceleration Program?
The Center for Excellence in Literacy Instruction (CELI) at the University of Mississippi. CELI provides exemplary instruction, relevant research, and effective service through collaboration with schools, businesses, community organizations, and the public at large.
The Mississippi Campaign for Grade-Level Reading (MS CGLR) is a network of stakeholders who are leading community-driven efforts to address major barriers to reading proficiency: school readiness, chronic absence, and summer learning loss, especially for low-income families.
myON through Renaissance Learning
Academic Guides (AGs) – 200 of the best and brightest college students in Mississippi.
Community Liaisons, our “boots on the ground” to serve as point of contact for each community.
Parents will have an active, meaningful, time-efficient role in
supporting the child’s reading skills.
Who is the Mission Acceleration Program designed for?
Mission Acceleration is an academic assistance model – a pilot program for high dosage tutoring – designed to support struggling readers experiencing learning loss due to instructional disruptions related to COVID-19.
How will outcomes be measured?
A variety of data will be collected to evaluate student outcomes.
How is the Mission Acceleration Program funded?
This project is GEER-funded, with the total award being $2.2 million dollars.
Where can we access the Mission Acceleration Program?
There are seven Mississippi Campaign for Grade-Level Communities participating across the state of Mississippi; Partner Sites within each MS CGLR community will serve as hosts for MiSsion Acceleration AGs and scholars.
How much does it cost for my child to participate in the Mission Acceleration Program?
The program is 100% free to families.
Where does the tutoring take place?
Tutoring sessions can be face-to-face at a Community Partner Site or, if needed, virtually using a web-
based video conferencing platform.
How often will my child attend tutoring sessions?
Children in the program receive at least three hours of tutoring time each week.
FAQs for Academic Guides
Who is eligible to serve as an Academic Guide?
To serve as an Academic Guide, you must meet these criteria:
1. A current college student;
2. Demonstrate at least a 3.25 GPA in college coursework;
3. Successfully complete a background check and necessary trainings;
4. Commit to providing academic assistance one semester at a time for at least 10
hours per week (Summer and Fall 2021; Spring and Summer 2022);
5. Passionate about service and working with children;
6. Located within or willing to travel to a MS CGLR community (Gulfport, Hattiesburg,
Jackson, Oxford, Starkville, Tupelo, and/or Vicksburg).