What is Mission Acceleration?
Mission Acceleration is a program designed to accelerate reading achievement for children in Mississippi. The program will provide the trifecta of support for readers in grades K-5:
1) An evidence-based intervention with explicit, systematic 1:1 academic assistance in reading
2) A student-centered, personalized, digital literacy environment giving students access to more than 6,000 enhanced digital books matched to the students’ interest, grade, and Lexile® reading level to deliver appropriate texts for reading practice
3) A meaningful connection with a role model for academic, social, and emotional support
Who is involved with Mission Acceleration?
The Center for Excellence in Literacy Instruction (CELI) at the University of Mississippi is the administrative home for the program. CELI provides exemplary instruction, relevant research, and effective service through collaboration with schools, businesses, community organizations, and the public at large.
The Mississippi Campaign for Grade-Level Reading (MS CGLR) is a network of stakeholders who are leading community-driven efforts to address major barriers to reading proficiency: school readiness, chronic absence, and summer learning loss, especially for low-income families.
Academic Guides (AGs) – 100 of the best and brightest college students in Mississippi.
Parents will have an active, meaningful, time-efficient role in supporting the child’s reading skills.
Who is Mission Acceleration designed for?
Mission Acceleration is an academic assistance model – a pilot program for high-dosage tutoring – designed to support struggling readers experiencing learning loss due to instructional disruptions related to COVID-19.
How is Mission Acceleration funded?
Mission Acceleration is a proud recipient of funding from both the AmeriCorps Volunteer Generation Fund and Volunteer Mississippi.
In which communities does Mission Acceleration operate?
There are seven Mississippi Campaign for Grade-Level Communities participating across the state of Mississippi; Partner Sites within each MS CGLR community will serve as hosts for Mission Acceleration AGs and scholars.
How much does it cost for my child to participate in the Mission Acceleration Program?
The program is 100% free to families!
Where does the tutoring take place?
Tutoring sessions can be face-to-face at a Community Partner Site or, if needed, virtually using a web-
based video conferencing platform.
How often will my child attend tutoring sessions?
Children in the program receive at least three hours of tutoring time each week.
FAQs for Academic Guides
Who is eligible to serve as an Academic Guide?
To serve as an Academic Guide, you must meet these criteria:
1. Currently enrolled in a college or university within the State of Mississippi
2. Demonstrate a commitment to making a positive impact on K-5 scholars
3. Successfully complete a background check and all necessary service training
4. Commit to providing service for at least 300 hours across the program year (09/01/2023 – 08/31/2024)
5. Located within or willing to travel to a participating MS CGLR community